1.04.2010

Modesty Monday - Essential Wardrobe Pieces Every Modest Girl Must Have!

landsend.com

Cardigans- They can be word in essentially any season, come in almost every imaginable color, and a variety of fabrics. Some are warm and soft, while others are cool and thin. Probably half of my wardrobe is made up of cardigans- don't worry- they don't always have to look grandma-ish! They're great for layering- and if you have any neutral colors (I would recommend gray, black, or brown), they're easy to toss on with just about anything when you're on the go! I personally don't own the above Land's End cardigan, but I have one a lot like it and absolutely love it!


target.com

Ballet flats- They are so easy to slip on with, well, just about anything...I know I'm sounding repetitive here, but that's why I'm calling these pieces essential- they are smart buys because you can wear them all the time. If you buy a pair, I would recommend buying one like the ones about with a little bit of stretch. I was able to get a pair for a dollar at a garage sale! Unfortunately, they are the kind with no stretch, so they make my feet a little bit sore. But, if they were comfortable, I'm sure I'd wear them with almost every outfit!

www.nyandcompany.com

Pea coats, trench coats, and jackets- A few years ago, I bought a really cute yellow trench coat at Old Navy...and of course thought it was a cute, trendy piece...but maybe that it would go out of style in a few years. Boy, was I wrong! I have received more compliments on that coat than on any other article of clothing. And it's still in style! Trench coats and pea coats are classy pieces that will last you a long time- especially if you invest in them! This coat from New York and Co. was originally over $100 and is now just a little over $50- a great price for a coat. Jackets are also great layering pieces- the best kind is a dark brown jacket- preferably corduroy- once again, you can wear it with just about anything!


oldnavy.com

Fashion scarves- Although this is a bit more of a trendy piece, fashion scarves are generally inexpensive, fun, and (surprise, surprise) can be paired with just about any outfit. They can be found in really any color and can be worn in so many ways. Because they are a trend, don't spend to much money on a scarf- but having one or two doesn't hurt- especially if they're solid colors (preferably neutrals) that you can wear with lots of stuff!

www.freedigitalphotos.net


Jeans (that fit well)- Jeans...they're an essential, prevalent piece in almost every American's closet. For teenagers, most of the time they are tight...a little too tight, worn, and torn. A little over a year ago I fell victim to the tight jeans epidemic. I found some American Eagle jeans for a steal. They were comfortable, a little tight, and I loved them. The problem was, for me, they were a little too tight. Icky tight. When I think back on it now, I just think "gross". It wasn't like they were cutting off my circulation or anything. The problem was that they were stretchy. Not a little bit stretchy. Really stretchy. Beware! Do not fall victim to the stretchy jeans! Don't get me wrong. Stretch is great! But it can make a pair of jeans that are too small look like they fit...it can even make them feel like they fit. But really, you'll just end up looking trashy. And who wants to look trashy?

Over the years I've had a couple really good pairs of jeans. And honestly, the best jeans are the expensive jeans. Like, designer jeans. No, I did not go out and spend 200 bucks on a pair of jeans. I bought them at a resale shop. For a very small fraction of the price- like maybe $20-30. The brands I've loved are David Kahn and Worn. These brands might be hard to find, but they're worth the digging. If you have no luck there, you could also try Banana Republic (again, hit the resale shops) and Limited. Probably, if you still have no luck, Levis will be your best bet.

Delia's

Boots- Maybe they're just in where I live, but it seems like Ugg boots are everywhere! Ugh! :) A couple weeks ago, we were talking about Uggs and my brother said, "Oh, you mean those tubes with the rounded toes?"...I guess we know what he thinks of Ugg boots! My mom thinks they're ridiculous too. I'm not so much against them...maybe because that's just more my style...maybe because I'm a teenager caught up in the latest fashion. But really, if you want a pair of boots that's more classy and traditional, go with a pair of riding boots. I bought a pair recently and absolutely fell in love with them! They look cute with a pair of jeans or a skirt and they are so, so, so fun! Although they are a bit pricier, they will last you a really long time and be an overall good investment.

\

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.