1.30.2010

The Musings of a Maiden

Earlier this week I was feeling rather unhappy. Unsure of life, feeling as if I was useless, not knowing what God had for me or where on earth I would end up in this life. Not understanding how I could do anything helpful, or how God could use someone like me. Then, I decided to sit down and write a blog post. It became this. As you can see, I started out hopless, lonely, despondant, and by the end I had sorted out my thoughts and realized the truth. I hope this encourages you.

"I wish something interesting would happen. You know, in books, things always happen to make a normal life fascinating... the main character is kidnapped by a bunch of thieves or rogues, and then a knight or a hero of some sort comes and rescues her... or a war breaks out, and the main character goes to win renown in battles... or the main character's father, the king of the realm, dies, and she is left to rule the kingdom while there are enemies attacking... or the main character is given an extraordinary task, and she accomplishes it with ease, even if she's doubtful, frightened, or even apparently incapable. But not so here... Here, life goes on as it always has. I get up, eat, study for hours, take a break, study for hours, take a longer break, read, go to bed, sleep, get up, eat breakfast... and the cycle goes on. I suppose I wouldn't especially like being kidnapped and held for ransom in a dark cave deep in the heart of the forest. And I don't suppose it would be exactly pleasant to have to fight in a battle, even if you did win undying glory. Perhaps it wouldn't be enjoyable if my father was a king, and he died, leaving me to rule a troubled kingdom which was being bombarded on all sides. I would probably find it less than enjoyable if I was given a seemingly impossible task, and was told to do it, if I had to die in the process. But then again... any of those might be more interesting than sitting around and doing the same thing every day. I suppose there are still frontiers to conquer... still battles to fight and glory to win. And not always with swords and bows, or pikes and catapults. I suppose there are still knights and fair maidens, and I suppose I could find them if I looked hard enough... There are still many places where justice is being neglected, where there is a need to defend the defenseless, and a need to speak out for truth. But... I am just a young maiden who is still learning how to fight. Perhaps that is why I must learn, why I must toil away day after day at my monotonous tasks... perhaps, when my training is complete and I am equiped for war, I will ride out and aid in pushing back the foe. I do not train with swords and spears, not with bows and arrows. I do not train myself to fight in the way that a typical warrior princess would... But I am in training for battle, and perhaps, some day, I will be able to put my training to use. Perhaps, after all, there are battles and foes, knights and maidens. They may not look the same as they did five hundred years ago... but they are still existant, and there is a need for leaders, and people who are equiped to do battle, and to give their all for truth and justice. Perhaps... perhaps some day I shall do my part.

'For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God...' - Ephesians 6:12-17"

Sisters, God put us here for a reason. He has a use for us, even if we can't see it right now. Life might seem hopeless, but our God is good, and He made each and every one of us for a purpose.

God bless!

No comments: