4.27.2010

Summer Reads

Take this summer as an opportunity to grow in your relationship with God. Use your free time in the Scriptures and reading the writings of Christian men and women who live (or did live) as examples of a deep relationship with Jesus Christ.


Great Christian Books (Click titles to learn more):



 A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot- This biography about Amy Carmichael is full of inspiring quotes and thoughts. I am reading the book right now for my devotional time and I'm taking notes on nearly every page of questions and comments I have about the content. A truly thought provoking read- not just an educational account of the life of a missionary!

 If I Perish by Esther Kim- Recommended by author Leslie Ludy, If I Perish is a story written by Esther Ahn Kim of her experiences as a Christian being persecuted in Korea. I'm looking forward to reading it next! (By the way, I received both the books If I Perish and A Chance to Die for my birthday...hm... =D)

 Set Apart Femininity by Leslie Ludy- The first book I read out of the many written by Leslie Ludy on a different lifestyle for young women. It started me out on my journey toward, well, set-apart femininity! Inspiring and encouraging!

 Authentic Beauty by Leslie Ludy- I found this book very similar to Set-Apart Femininity, but directed towards a more mature audience. Ludy shares many accounts of her experiences as a teen girl wavering between set-apartness and worldliness.
 
The Lost Art of True Beauty by Leslie Ludy- This is the newest book by Leslie Ludy- I have not read it yet (actually, I just discovered it today!), but I am excited to read it. What does the world say about beauty? What does God say about it? Apparently, this is where you can find out!


Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss- I absolutely loved this book when I read it a few years ago and I really want to read it again. It is written as if it were a journal of a young woman in the 19th century. She goes through spiritual growth and times of "drought". Hardships and joys. Struggles and accomplishments.


Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Danae Gresh- This book is most effective when accompanied by the thought-provoking study guide. Lies Young Women Believe focuses on many struggles that young girls in our society face. There are some mature themes, so if you're not sure, check with a parent first. 


A Young Woman's Call to Prayer by Elizabeth George- When I was in a rut in my faith walk, especially struggling with deep, sincere prayer, this prayer manual inspired me and encouraged me. George talks about her "sweet hour of prayer" that started as a "sweet five minutes of prayer!" The author encourages young women to take one step at a time toward a rich prayer life.

No comments: